Women Bishops and the Church of England


Listening to LBC radio this morning on the way into work and also scanning the news websites I'm struck by the outpouring of bitterness and anger by some of the supporters of the vote for women bishops. Very little of what I hear has centred around theology or church tradition.

Most of it seems to be related to very secular terms such as equality, diversity, empowerment, misogyny, dinosaurs, evolution, going forward and others. Together with the apparent inability of those who find the vote impossible to accept to display humbleness and good grace I fear for the future of the Church of England.

 As someone who was once baptised into the Church of England I'm oft glad I've jumped ship.

Authored by Chris Hall

Comments

  1. Yes, I jumped ship 25 years ago, because I did not want to spend the rest of my life engaged in those futile arguments and the politicking that goes with them, and if I'd stayed those 25 years would have been a big cunk of my life, and still no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The majority of the arguments are futile but this one has the capability to split the Church of England. You can't just dump 2000 years of accepted church ecclesiology with a democratic vote and expect everyone to carry on as normal. The sad thing is that this vote will only delay what is inevitable in a structure like the CofE.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Spammers, trolls and blatantly offensive posts will be summarily deleted. My blog, my rules. Otherwise comment away!

Popular posts from this blog

In the bleak midwinter

Blogcatalog Widget Removed